I'll say it over & over again, in a variety of ways, until I get it right or until someone corrects me :
1. Poetry is defined as that form of speech or writing which surpasses prose.
2. The beautiful or artistic aspect of a work of prose is its poetry.
3. Poetry cannot be learned or taught because its source, the experience of imaginative inspiration, is unwilled and unwillable.
4. Authentic poetry simply surpasses ordinary writing. The effect is obvious and immediate and tangible. Only willful writers, mediocre writers, writing programs, journalists, editors and academia obscure this fact. They blur and muddle this reality in countless ways.
5. Don't worry or argue about #4. Teaching poetry to young people is a fine vocation. & authentic poetry will shine no matter what anybody does to hide it. Its nature is to shine.