3.03.2003

found 2 more Shvarts translations (the first one seems like a commentary on my note this morning). (Russian-readers, forgive my errors please!)


from Zapadno-Vostochni Veter, p. 26-27


ALCHEMIST'S DAWN

With spiritual abstinence I guide my age,
with radiant intellect. But often I get drunk.
A bird suddenly rushes and falls,
a cold blue eye hangs over nothing.
I go through nigredo - my soul awakens:
again the bird sprouts wings on the wall,
her candescent flight flaring in the gloom.
She is within - where her light is hidden.
She fills my soul (a rounded retort)
with fiery matter - but she won't
give birth. Both angel and devil, she
herself was born to experience miracles.

1995






Blinded, these northern nights
look down into a courtyard well,
drag slowly from the depths
a pail. . . and chi vedra,
they carry it off to the heights:
Petersburg dust at the bottom,
three-day-old fish, books, mice,
an ancient janitor's axe.
They gaze at candles in people's
windows, hundreds of them:
luminous quiet multitudes
in the city left empty.


1996


[This image of the pail from the well recurs in other poems; makes me think of the Voronezh lyric of Mandelstam which begins "I was washing up in the courtyard"]

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hi, I am a third-year student of Russian from London, currently researching the work of Elena Shvarts for my dissertation. I came across your blog and your comments about Elena Shvarts and was intrigued by your translations. I would be interested to know your opinion on some of the ideas I have had so farabout her work. It is difficult to find information about Elena, and I would very much like, in general, to discuss her poetry with you! I hope to hear from you, Hannah