11.19.2003

A little more from In RI. (The poem was written some years before Rosmarie Waldrop published her "take" on Roger Williams' Key Into the Language of America.)

         Waves sonorous against the prow,
flowing astern quietly, softly.
Lay the feather down,
NETOP. WEQUANTIG. Candle, light.
UNHAPPO KOSH? Is your father
home? NUCQUIQUATCH.
I am cold. POTOUWASSITEUCK.
Let us make a fire. NOTE,
NOTAWESE, little
fire. AWAUO? Who is at home?
ACAWMUCK NOTESHEM. I came
over the water.
How doth your wife? ASPAUMPMAUNTAM
COMMITTAMUS? I came from far,
NAWWATUCK NOTESHEM.
TAUBOT PAUMPMAUNTAMAN. I am
glad you are well. Eyes. WUSKEESQUASH.
Where are your eyes?
TIYUSH KUSSKEESUCKQUASH? Mouth.
WUTTONE. Tongue. WEENAT.
MAPANNOG. Breast.
WUNNICHEKE. Hand. I am tired.
WUNNEGIN, COWISH. Welcome,
sleep here. NOTE.

No comments: