4.24.2020

mountain crossroad



HIGH JUBILEE

As the flashy plumage of the peacocks
contrasts with the somber wall
of a hunchbacked cathedral… so
the worldly chit-chat of the literati mocks

the stark lofty simplicity
of a mountain crossroad –
where a mule bites goad
with gritted teeth (stubborn humility).

& I think of those high stony passes
of Armenia tonight
as I foot my way, right
back to bright horseplay of Itasca

primavera springs.  Up there, young
Ojibwe (generation after
generation) took the fast
of separation from the world (a brave-sprung

discipline) – & he awoke & found it truth.
So (as I inch toward the close
of my rheumy, 8-years’
rĂªve-glose) I want to emulate that youth

& drink the clear spring water, sing my fast
manifest the rabbit frame
these longish footprints form…
untwist my Huckleberry ruse at last.

Tell me what is a human soul & spirit
& you will say what I mean.
What they have always been
a knot of everlasting life, the whit-

                  *

sun wedding of the nodding twain.
Theseus, AriadneAdam,
Eve… – til Jesus came
& lifted every limb to Paradise (again).

All’s figures.  Here’s a 4-leaf clover;
twirl it between your fingers.
See where Hobo lingers,
lost in his maze… only a cavernous nave

overhead (synagogue of Always-There).
Can you conceptualize
the structure of the Bible?  Is
your mind glazed yet, by the seven spare

sparks of Pentecost?  Has the Spirit
settled upon you as a dove
& vaulted you to eaves of love?
This is the salt that fires each aspirant

& burns away the dross around the urn –
kindling Dante, Roger Williams –
forging those adamant amalgams
melding heaven-earth, sacred-profane…

prophetic copper work of Providence.
For the covenant of God
with Man is happy seed-
grain of the common good – equivalence

of Golden Rule & last commitment;
liberty from tyranny
is predicated on glory… high
Jubilee of restoration (in a dreamer’s tent).

4.24.20

No comments: