7.28.2003

More reasonable debate from Tim.

The Rousseau quote seems a more individualist version of the social contract than my little statement. But my emphasis to start with was not on the process of political reform but on its source, which I asserted came not from some Rousseauiste romantic rebellion but from a perennial "tree of life" of humane values.

I guess I could summarize my position as : classicism is a recognition of the living presence of past poetry : and this recognition - this active reading and interpretation - is an integral aspect of making new poetry. Poetry is a living presence because it is an emanation from the broad universal stream of life & truth itself. The binary polemics and provocations of both the "avant-garde project" and its reactionary antagonists tend to deflect from the most basic and integral aspects of poetry-making.

Now everyone may nod their heads & go back to making joyful noises.

Mandelstam : "classicism is revolution".

No comments: