1.29.2004

from Dove Street:


Now the snow (pure, blinding).
Water slown down, retarded to
star. Yet I know you're there,
under the gleaming ring,


unseen. Where images fade out.
Puffy doves purr, tut-tut, bunched
on the ridge of a tree-branch.
Having you left... you're all I've got.


*


The war goes on, outside the brain.
Where the grey dove of Bran or
Bretagne once dove in.
The mirror's extra dungeon


for X, of X, in X:
stage envies, accomplices,
maybe lateral damages.
Machine read-out: You're next.


*


As if you were there with me on the branch
I'll mumble and purr, puffed-up in the cold.
Because you're not here doesn't mean
you're not there. Unfold, again. Branch,


little tree. Tomorrow's always,
and always is your birthday
and this is all I have to say -
your birthday, always (little tree).


1.29.04

No comments: