1.29.2004

I've quoted quite a bit this cold January from "Letters to Elena", retracing that 5-yr-old snow-trail. Soon we may continue into the delta mysteries of ch. 3, "Palm Sunday". yup. & we haven't even talked about July yet. ("The pants were big in the waist and the shirt ballooned out, for my brother Julius had a fat chest. I wiped my sweat with a handkerchief stitched with a J." - Saul Bellow, Humboldt's Gift)

from "Letters", the conclusion:

 
*


It is finished. The dove will not return
to the empty sanctuary. My blue pines,
my frozen childhood firs... a saw whines,
a wolf howls, Elena, in that forsaken


garden. I whisper to myself alone,
I say. Just then – the darkness wanes.
Gratitude swells... through windowpanes,
the shadow of a hand grows light toward dawn.



Providence
2.5.99

No comments: