1.08.2020

in the shadow of Notre Dame




TO YOU

To you who have walked with me
all along this many poem.
I would translate my diagram
of raven wing into quick algebra.

As daylight stretches into spring
I would head to Beltrami
a worn-out refugee –
Itasca hearts to weld by wring.

The Iron Range is as our life,
cold for sunrise, fire
by dusk.  Evening Star,
Dove-Bird, be thou my wife

                 *

whose effigy is coppery Peg
centered in Big Muddy silt
at Pentecost, green to the hilt.
Cahokia palm (with Easter egg).

She danced in the shadow of Notre Dame
a firebird, on 5/29
with flammable cardboard mural crown
for Apollinaire to remember (at the Somme).

& she wheeled across flat American clay
from West Branch, a circumference
of byzantine raven-sense...
to lift sad Earth toward the Realm of Day.

1.8.20

from a painting by Phoebe Gould

No comments: